How does our season work?
Athletics Victoria organises events in two seasons; summer and winter. Our winter season comprises our cross country competition (XCR), whilst our summer season contains various track and field competition levels. Our season follows the following formats:
- XCR – Our interclub cross-country competition is held throughout the winter. XCR is a fantastic way to meet people in the community through your club. Your club receives points when you participate, with multiple divisions available. XCR is fun, friendly and a fantastic way to become more involved in the athletics community.
- AVSL – Our interclub track and field competition is held throughout the summer. AVSL is a fantastic way to meet people in the community through your club. Your club receives points when you participate with multiple divisions available. AVSL is fun, friendly and a fantastic way to become more involved in the athletics community.
- Club Meets – Many clubs host club meets throughout the summer. Club meets are a great place to start your athletics journey. To see what clubs are hosting meets, see this page or contact clubs directly.
- Specialist Meets – Specialist meets offer a higher level of competition for those looking for things a little faster, higher, and longer. Specialist groups include AV Throwers (Hammer, Discus, Shot Put & Javelin), High-Velocity Club (Sprints, Hurdles, Horizontal Jumps and High Jump), Rare Air Club (Pole Vault), Victorian Milers Club (800m, 1500m, Mile and 3000m) and the Victorian Race Walking Club (Walks).
- State Championships – Open to all AV Members; State Championships are a great goal to work up to. Not just for the elite, many AV members come together for a common goal, with all the action taking place in late March.
- To view all our events, courses and more, please click here.
- For more information on the events we offer – timetables, entry details, etc. – please see the pages below.
- Please note that different events may require different memberships. You can learn more about our memberships here.
- Questions? Call us on 03 7032 8400 between 9.00am – 5.00pm, Monday-Friday (AEDT), or email email@example.com
2023/24 – AVSL
This AVSL season will be contested from October 2023, to March 2024. The Athletics Victoria Shield League (AVSL) is Athletics Victoria’s summer track and field competition, offering a wide array of track and field events on a weekly basis across two metropolitan venues and three regional venues. With over 50 clubs and five AVSL divisions, clubs battle it out across 12 rounds of AVSL to decide promotion and relegation from each of the divisions.
To compete in AVSL, an AV membership and Summer package can be purchased. However, if you wish just to come and try, you can pre-enter online as a trialling participant.
Further information about AVSL in 2023/24 will be released later in the year.
Our State Championships allow you to challenge yourself and compete against the best in Victoria across various event disciplines. The State Championships are an opportunity to achieve your goals, whether a medal or a personal best. The Championships are open to all AV Base Membership holders.
Specialist meets cater to a range of athletes who want to further develop their skills across several track and field disciplines.
Specialist groups include; AV Throwers (Hammer, Discus, Shot Put & Javelin), High-Velocity Club (Sprints, Hurdles, Horizontal Jumps and High Jump), Rare Air Club (Pole Vault), Victorian Milers Club (800m, 1500m, Mile and 3000m) and the Victorian Race Walking Club (Walks).
We have a new form that clubs can complete We have a new form that clubs can complete if they wish to host a club meet. Simply download via the button below. Once completed, please email to firstname.lastname@example.org
TAKING BOOKINGS NOW
Whether your school participates in athletics or not, we have opportunities for everyone to get involved. Our events provide inclusive experiences for students of all abilities. From educational athletics days to fun-filled festivals, the opportunities are there for all to have a go.
If your school is interested in hosting a track & field event, please get in touch with our team at email@example.com
Our winter cross-country season, or XCR, is a series of fantastic community-based events for you to challenge yourself and enjoy several great locations with friends. Entered by runners of all abilities, our XCR season features a range of distances and locations from coastal courses to farm-land rolling hills to on-road racing.
XCR is the perfect event to leap outdoors, improve your fitness and challenge yourself.
Results, Records & Other Important Information
Looking to break a record, not sure what age group you will be competing in, trying to find a past result? All the information you require can be found here!