Come and enjoy all athletics has to offer. Whether it’s your first time here or you’re making a comeback, we have something for everyone!
1. I’m Starting Out… Is Athletics For Me?
Absolutely! Athletics offers a diverse range of activities for everyone! The sport encompasses a variety of events including running, jumping, throwing, and combined events, meaning you can find an event that suits your strengths and interests.
- If you are a beginner, athletics can provide a fun and supportive environment to get active and improve your fitness.
- If you are an experienced athlete, the sport offers numerous opportunities for personal and competitive growth.
Whether you’re competing against others or pushing yourself to beat your personal bests, athletics provides a fun and engaging way to stay active and healthy!
2. What Events Do You Offer?
Athletics Victoria organises events in two seasons; summer and winter. Our winter season comprises our cross country competition (XCR), whilst our summer season contains various track and field competition levels. Our season follows the following formats:
- XCR – Our interclub cross-country competition is held throughout the winter. XCR is a fantastic way to meet people in the community through your club. Your club receives points when you participate, with multiple divisions available. XCR is fun, friendly and a fantastic way to become more involved in the athletics community.
- AVSL – Our interclub track and field competition is held throughout the summer. AVSL is a fantastic way to meet people in the community through your club. Your club receives points when you participate with multiple divisions available. AVSL is fun, friendly and a fantastic way to become more involved in the athletics community.
- Club Meets – Many clubs host club meets throughout the summer. Club meets are a great place to start your athletics journey. To see what clubs are hosting meets, see this page or contact clubs directly.
- Specialist Meets – Specialist meets offer a higher level of competition for those looking for things a little faster, higher, and longer. Specialist groups include AV Throwers (Hammer, Discus, Shot Put & Javelin), High-Velocity Club (Sprints, Hurdles, Horizontal Jumps and High Jump), Rare Air Club (Pole Vault), Victorian Milers Club (800m, 1500m, Mile and 3000m) and the Victorian Race Walking Club (Walks).
- State Championships – Open to all AV Members; State Championships are a great goal to work up to. Not just for the elite, many AV members come together for a common goal, with all the action taking place in late March.
- School Competitions – Whether your school participates in athletics or not, we have opportunities for everyone to get involved. Our events provide inclusive experiences for students of all abilities. From educational athletics days to fun-filled festivals, the opportunities are there for all to have a go. If your school is interested in hosting an athletics event, email firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Ok, This Sounds Great! How Do I Participate?
We have two core memberships at Athletics Victoria, the Recreational Runner and the Base Athlete Membership. Memberships are valid from 1 April 2023 to 31 March 2024.
Base Athlete Membership
The Base Athlete Membership is for those who want to challenge themselves regularly – i.e. more events, more often.
You pay a yearly membership fee through your club of choice. This membership includes;
Personal Accident Cover – i.e., event cover, training cover, and cover outside of AV-sanctioned events* and the ability to enter events throughout the year and score points for your club – it’s all about the community vibe.
Our members usually select clubs on their proximity to home and the offerings for club members.
To enter events through this membership, you simply pay a discounted entry per event.
Base Athlete Membership Add Ons
On top of the Base Athlete Membership, you can add one of three packages with all your entry fees included.
- For winter (cross-country), if you are planning on doing more than four individual rounds of XCR, purchase the XCR Package for best value.
- For summer (track and field), if you plan on doing six or more rounds of AVSL as a junior, or eight or more rounds of AVSL as an Open athlete, it’s the AVSL Package for the best value experience in athletics.
The Recreational Runner
This membership features a low $10 per year fee (not including event entry fees) and Personal Accident Insurance, including event cover, training cover, and cover outside of AV-sanctioned events*.
We also have discounts for our coaching courses if you want to upskill. With the Recreational Runner membership, you pay for the events you wish to attend as you go.
4. Looking For More Information?
Don’t hesitate to contact us via phone on 03 7032 8400 or email at email@example.com.