Start your engines for the Sandown Road Relays!
Date: Saturday 8th July 2023
Location: Sandown Racecourse, Springvale, VIC 3171 (Google link here). Enter on Racecourse Drive via Princes Highway and follow the driveway to the carpark – or if you’re coming by train the pedestrian gate (gate 14) adjacent to Sandown Park railway station will be open for participants. There will be signage directing you to the event site.
Weather: We’re very lucky to be able to use the open spaces of Sandown Racecourse, where there’s plenty of room. The grandstand will be available for shelter, but the weather looks cold and windy with a strong chance of rain. Experience tells us that we need to be extra prepared with warm clothes at Sandown, so bring an extra jumper – and maybe a change of clothes!!
Duathlon: Triathlon Victoria will be holding a duathlon event prior to the Athletics Victoria Relay event. The duathlon should be completed by 10:30am, and Athletics Victoria expects to take control of the venue by 11am. Please keep the bitumen motor racing circuit clear, and exercise caution until that time. Entry to the grandstand and lawn areas will be open before that time, so feel free to come in, set up, visit the administration area to pick up bibs etc. before warming up. Entry to the Sandown Racecourse for Athletics Victoria patrons will be as usual, via Gate 3. Should the track become available earlier for warm ups, announcements will be made. There is no access permitted to the Sandown thoroughbred racing track (grass) under any circumstances for the purposes of warm up. Please refrain from entering this area. Melbourne Racing Club security will be onsite to enforce this.
|XCR Season Information||Course Map||ResultsHub||AV Rules and Policies||Team Entry list (At 12pm 5/7/23)||Toilet/Site Map|
Food and drinks: Mocha Monkey will be on-site providing hot drinks and snacks for pre-or post-race.
Team Sheets, Relay Bibs & Electronic Timing Tags:
- AV Staff will be present in the Leger Room at the top of the Grandstand, and team managers are required to collect a team pack (including all team sheets, relay bibs and electronic timing tags) from AV Staff for distribution to their athletes.
- Team sheets (including athlete names and bib numbers) are to be submitted to the Athletics Victoria administration tent once complete. Clubs are encouraged to submit this prior to completion of the competition to allow the timely presentation of medals and publication of results.
- Teams are expected to return all relay bibs and electronic timing tags upon the conclusion of their race. Please note that an $80 replacement fee will be invoiced to the club for any electronic timing tags not returned.
- Members who have forgotten or misplaced their personal bibs will require a temporary bib for the event. Please come to the Admin Tent well in advance of your race start time to be issued a disposable temporary bib.
Athlete Membership Requirements:
- Athletes must have an athlete membership submitted and approved by 11:59am on the Wednesday prior to the event for the team to be eligible to score points.
Bibs: In the 2023/24 season, there will be no cloth bibs issued. We are committed to reducing our footprint on the environments we use. Your new timing bibs are now made from hardier material, designed to last the whole season, XCR and track! So please ensure you care for your bibs, e.g. do not machine wash, do not fold. Lost or damaged bibs will incur a new bib fee.
PLEASE NOTE THAT NO DOGS ARE ALLOWED WITHIN SANDOWN RACECOURSE
ATHLETES MAY NOT ENTER THE (GRASS) COURSE PROPER OR TRAINING TRACK OF THE GALLOPS TRACK AT ANY TIME.
Club administrators are responsible for completing team entries for XCR Relay events, not individual athletes. Any queries regarding team selection should be directed to your club.
|Time||Age Group||Event||Start line|
|12:45pm||Male Open Premier||6 x 6.2km||Start Line 1|
|Male Open Division 2||6 x 6.2km||Start Line 2|
|Male Division 3||5 x 6.2km||Start Line 3|
|Male U20||3 x 6.2km||Start Line 3|
|Male U18||3 x 3.1km||Start Line 4|
|12:47pm||Female Open Premier||5 x 6.2km||Start Line 1|
|Female Division 2||4 x 6.2km||Start Line 1|
|Male Open Division 4||5 x 6.2km||Start Line 2|
|Male 60+||3 x 6.2km||Start Line 2|
|Male Division 5 & Female Divison 3||4 x 6.2km||Start Line 3|
|Male U16||3 x 3.1km||Start Line 4|
|12:49pm||Male Division 6||4 x 6.2km||Start Line 1|
|Male 40+||3 X 6.2km||Start Line 1|
|Male Division 7||4 x 6.2km||Start Line 2|
|Female Division 4||3 x 6.2km||Start Line 3|
|Female U16 & U18||3 x 3.1km||Start Line 4|
|12:51pm||Female Division 5||3 x 6.2km||Start Line 1|
|Female U20||3 x 3.1km||Start Line 2|
|Male 50+||3 x 6.2km||Start Line 2|
|Female 40+ & Female 50+||3 x 6.2km||Start Line 3|
|Male U14 & Female U14||3 x 3.1km||Start Line 4|
|1:30pm||Presentations: Sandown Relay Awards – Junior||W U20, W U18, M U18, W U16, |
W U14, M U14,
|2:30pm||Presentations: Sandown Relay Awards – Men U20 & Masters||M U20, M40+, M50+, M60+, W40+, W50+|
|3:00pm||Presentations: Sandown Relay Awards – Open Divisions||W Premier, M Premier|
- Presentations will be carried out once all results have been verified after each race.
*Please note that this event and its offerings are subject to change in alignment with advice from the Victorian Government
**Club administrators are responsible for completing team entries for XCR Relay events, not individual athletes. Any queries regarding team selection should be directed to your club.
If you have issues entering the event please contact Athletics Victoria PRIOR to the closing date. This can be done via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by phoning the Athletics Victoria office on (03) 7032 8400 and leave a message explaining the issues you are experiencing. Athletics Victoria will not accept any late entries. Emails received after the closing date will not be accepted.