The Level 1 Youth Coach accreditation is designed for coaches who want to work with athletes aged 3-12 years old, and want to be involved in the early stages of athlete development (Fundamentals I and Fundamentals II in Athletics Australia’s Training and Competition Guidelines for Children and Adolescents).
The primary objective of a Youth Coach is to utilise a games-based approach to develop fundamental movement skills (such as running, jumping, and throwing) and foster physical literacy in an encouraging environment.
Youth Coaches specialise in roles within Sporting Schools programs, Primary Schools, and Little Athletics centres.
To gain a Level 1 Youth Coach accreditation, a coach must meet the following criteria:
Be 16 years or older.
- Practical course – Attend a one-day face-to-face or five 1-hour online sessions.
- Online course
– Complete the Community Coaching Essential Skills online course
– Complete the Level 1 Youth Coach online modules
– Complete the Child Protection and Safeguarding online course.
- Assessment task
– Complete a multiple-choice assessment.
– Complete a seasonal plan.
– Complete the practical coaching assessment (signed off by an approved assessor).
– We strongly recommended that the assessor supervises coach for the duration of a season (1 year) before signing off on the assessment.