Course and Resources Fee: $240 (Athletics Victoria Members) + $250 (non members) includes your first year of coaching registration with Athletics Australia
Course Length: 2 hours Pre-Course work + 8 Hours Face-To-Face (Practical & Theory) + post course assessments tasks
The Level 1 Community Athletics Coach course focuses on developing the coach’s human management skills and understanding of physical literacy and how it can be improved based on the ‘Teaching Games for Understanding’ model of sports development. The course instructs how to coach the fundamental skills of Run, Jump and Throw in beginning athletes to prepare them for future Track and Field success, which must be understood before event-specific coaching can be developed.
This qualification is certified by the Australian Sports Commission and allows participants to be nationally accredited as a community coach which is transferable to other sports engaging in the community coach program.
There is pre-course work for this course which can be accessed here and must be completed prior to attending the course. The two units to undertake are Community Coaching General Principles and Play by the Rules, Child Protection module. You need to set up a login and then enroll in the two modules – they are both free of charge.
Post-Course Assessment Tasks: After completing the face-to-face component of the course you are required to successfully complete the Session Planning Assignment and self Reflection requirements prior to receiving your coaching accreditation.
Before the Course
- Download or print the Level 1 Community Athletics Coach Lecture Slides
- Download or print the Level 1 Community Athletics Coach Participant’s Manual
- Register for your Level 1 Community Athletics Coach Online Learning through the Canopi Portal.
- Complete the Play by the Rules – Child Protection Module
- Complete the Community Coaching General Principles Course
On the Day of the Course
- Bring a pen, paper, lunch and have access to your Participant’s Manual.
- Wear clothes that allow you to perform light exercise.
After the Course
- Complete and submit two session plans through your online learning page
- Access the Level 1 Community Athletics Coach – Refresher Material course
- Access Your Running, Jumping and Throwing Drills
- Complete your Self-Reflection and use the linked resources if you are still yet to achieve any of the desired course outcomes
- Have a look at the recommended reading list and other resources on this page
- Once you receive confirmation of your accreditation, login to the Coach Portal
- Visit the Coaching Roles page to find athletics clubs that invite you to coach with them