We are so excited to see you back on track for our Summer of AVSL. Life has changed in many ways for people over the past six months, and Athletics was not immune to this.
The State Government and DHHS are hoping that community sport can go ahead from November 2020 – but health and safety measures need to be at the forefront of everyone’s minds when organising these events.
With this in mind, you may notice that we are not offering all Track and Field events at AVSL for the opening 4-6 rounds.
The choice to include or exclude events is based on three factors.
- Safety for participants, coaches, and event staff
- Participation numbers over the past two seasons
- Ensure event value is the best it can be, encouraging people back into the sport.
If an event is not offered in AVSL we will endeavour to have it included in specialist group meets where safe to do so
How it works
- There will be ten (10) rounds of AVSL commencing 28th November 2020 – March 2021.
- 4 Metro venues and 3 Regional venues will operate each week
- Each venue will host (4) 60 minute sessions – where you will be able to participate in all four events on offer – just book in a timeslot
- Events will include Sprint, Run/Walk, Jump and Throw
- Open to all individuals – junior, open, masters, able-bodied and para-athletes
- Teachers/School Coaches, please contact Athletics Victoria if you wish to register your students for AVSL rounds at email@example.com
- School students may be eligible to compete in their school singlet, enter on an event by event basis and will not need to be an AV Member to compete.
Please see the below draft table for AVSL rounds 1-6
Events like the 60metre and 600metre have been chosen as entry points for newcomers to our sport – so they can come along and experience all the fun that AVSL has to offer.
Events deemed to be high-risk in terms of safety include:
- Pole Vault
- High Jump
- Hammer Throw
- Steeple Chase
We will monitor the health and safety information provided by the State Government as it is released – and will look to add these events into our calendars as soon as it is safe and practical to do so.
Each round will be run at 4 Metro and 3 Regional Venues across Victoria. *The increased number of Metro Venues means that we can schedule more 60 min sessions and create more opportunities while restrictions are in place under the Government roadmap.