WEATHER FORECAST – Timetable changes for 2018 Victorian Country Championships.
Message from Athletics Victoria CEO Glenn Turnor
Following the Bureau’s forecast for this weekend of temperatures of 38 degrees, we have reviewed a number of options to ensure the safety of everyone participating. Re-scheduling the competition was not an option with many competitors having arranged and paid for accommodation and travel plans.
The agreed option was to amend the timetable of events to reduce the amount of time athletes, officials and volunteers are exposed to the heat of the day. Where possible we have moved distance events to early morning or later at night and have amended the competition rules to remove preliminary rounds.
We are very aware that these changes may affect plans and cause some inconvenience – but our priority is to ensure all of our competitions are conducted with the safety of all concerned as the priority.
The major changes are :-
- Competition on Friday 26th January will now commence at 9.30am (track) and 10.15am (field) with an extended break from 1.00pm until 6.30pm.
- Competition on Saturday 27th January will start on the track with the 3000m walk at 9.00am followed by the 100m (finals and timed finals) which will conclude at 11.30am. The program will then break until 6.15pm with the finals of the 1500m, 400m and the 10,000m. Field events will commence 30 mins earlier in the morning session and start at 9.00am and conclude at 1.00pm on Saturday. The evening field session will recommence at 4.30pm and conclude at 9.45pm.
- Sunday 27th January program will commence at 9.00am with the 200m (finals and timed finals) followed by steeplechase, short hurdles and relays with an anticipated finish time of 2.20pm. There are no changes to the Sunday field event timetable.
- All track event will be conducted as a straight FINAL or a TIMED Final.
- 800m Finals will be conducted in lanes where there are 12 or less competitors, or on the 800m curve start where there are more than 12 athletes checked in for the Final.
- 1500m field sizes will be determined at the discretion of the Competition Director but where there are large numbers of entries, two timed finals can be conducted.
- Athletes must check in for TRACK Events and will be asked to provide their SEASONS BEST performance on the CHECK IN sheet so that TIMED FINALS can be seeded. If an athlete does not provide seasons best then they will not be seeded correctly.
- Where TIMETABLE changes create a clash of events for athletes, all effort will be made to ensure that athletes can be accommodated.
If the timetable changes now makes it impossible for an athlete to compete, then AV will provide a full refund.
In addition to these timetable changes we are working with our host committee to provide additional shade areas and increased access to water and refreshments.
**The Club Duty Roster will also change and we will work with the organising committee and all clubs that are rostered on to ensure we can conduct the competition. We may ask for some more helpers.
To access the amended timetable click HERE.
Date: Friday 26th – Sunday 28th January, 2018
Location: Llanberris Reserve – York St, Ballarat