Australian Cross Country Championships – Kembla Joggers Cross Country Park – Wollongong NSW – Saturday August 26th 2017
This document details Athletics Victoria’s representative team selection procedure for the 2017 Australian Cross Country Championship, Wollongong, NSW.
POLICY OF SELECTION
There will be an Athletics Victoria Selection Committee established to carry out the selection of the Victorian Cross Country team
The selection committee will operate under the selection policy listed, making amendments where deemed necessary to maintain the best interests of Athletics Victoria and to remain in line with any changes drafted by Athletics Australia.
The AV Selection Committee and Athletics Victoria will have final say over selection, appeals will be directed through State Teams manager Sean Whipp: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Representative age group teams for the Australian Cross Country Championships are under 14, under 16, under 18 and under 20 (as at 31 December 2017) for boys and girls, with 16 male & female athletes selected per gender, per age group.
- The Victorian Cross Country Championships on June 17th (Bundoora Park) will be the selection trial for this team, athletes who do not compete at this event will not be considered for selection, unless qualifying criteria detailed in point 5 are met.
- It is necessary to submit the availability form, distributed at the Athletics Victoria tent located near the finishing line, to be considered for selection. Athletes will only be considered for the AV team if they nominate AV as one of their two selection options. In the unusual case that an age group has insufficient nominations to fill an age group bracket of 16 athletes, the next best placed athlete will be contacted.
- Thirty-two athletes will be selected for each age group, 16 male, 16 female. Selection is determined by athlete finishing order, thus if the first 16 athletes to cross the line in a race select to represent AV, those 16 individuals will be selected if appropriate selection documentation is completed.
- Athletes who are unable to compete at the trial due to illness or national representation will need to provide a written application with supporting documentation to be considered. The athlete will also need to have competed in a minimum of one AV XCR17 event to be considered for selection.
- All selections will be confirmed via email/AV website on Thursday, June 22nd
- Emergencies will be named and offered places in the team if/when any selections are declined.
Eligibility – To be eligible for a position in the team in the U20 category, an athlete must fulfil the following criteria:
- Complete a nomination form on the day, at the Athletics Victoria tent
Compulsory Uniform for this trip includes, male and female options listed:
- Competition singlet or crop top (male or female)
- Competition briefs, boy leg briefs, shorts, or half-tights (male or female)
- Athletics Victoria Hoodie (Navy, unisex)
Team Travel (Updated)
The selection policy for the Victorian State Team at this year’s National Cross Country Championships was released last week. Part of the criteria was that we would be making team travel compulsory for 2017.
Since sending out this information, we have received considerable feedback about the compulsory State Team component, as athletes in previous years have made their own way to the National Cross Country Championships.
Based on the feedback received, it will no longer be compulsory to travel with the State Team. Selected athletes will be responsible for their own travel arrangements. Athletics Victoria will provide Team Management and physiotherapy services for the event and a revised team levy and entry fee will come to the amount of $80.